(a 2-day course)
This course covers the way data sets are located and retrieved under OS/390 and z/OS.
The students will learn how to install and initialize disk volumes, and how to define and manage catalogs in an
Integrated Catalog Facility (ICF) environment.
They will learn how to optimize ICF, and they will be enabled to perform indepth problem diagnosis and solving.
System programmers and storage managers.
You need to master the Concepts and techniques covered by our VSAM Fundamentals course.
- Course contents
- Count-Key-Data (CKD) track format
- IPL bootstrap records and the VOL1 label
- Using DFSMSdss to print tracks
- Volume Table of Contents (VTOC) organization
- VTOC and SMS
- Installing and initializing DASD volumes
- VTOC size calculation
- Indexed VTOC: organization and space calculation
- Using SPZAP to repair the VTOC
- VVDS internal organization
- VVDS definition
- BCS internal organization
- BCS definition
- ICF structure: master catalog and user catalogs
- Catalog error detection techniques
- Recovering damaged BCS and VVDS entries
- Catalog recovery techniques: restore, salvage, and repair (zapping!)
- Backup and restore
- Copying, splitting, merging, renaming, etc. of ICF catalogs
- Using CAS and VLF to cache catalogs